​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Esbit stove?

Same as Judith and Gordon - I carry an Esbit, but purely as a back-up.

We do get a fair amount of wind here in Scotland - expect several days with gusts of up to 50kph. Past Challenges - Stormy Sunday, Monday and Wednesday - saw sustained winds of over 80kph. So whatever your choice, be sure to pack a wind-shield!

Would people dislike of it being used in bothys? Some people don't like the smell...

I don't think so Ulla.

Most bothies are, erm, well aired.... and if other folk are in there they will probably smell too. :wink:

The other thing about esbit - if you didn't already know ( forgive me if you did ) is that you can post it to a pick up point on route. :smile:

Thank you, Gordon, that has been my biggest concern concerning the esbit :relieved:

I didn't really want to get a new stove right now, although I am thinking of getting a Soto Amicus Stove after the challenge. they are cheaper in Scotland than in Sweden.

I too use a pocket rocket/250 cylinder set up, and carry a tiny esbit foldaway stove as backup.

As stated, like an alcohol stove, Esbit is affected by wind. But protected in a cone, it works perfectly well. It's the lightest fuel option.

I used it on my challenge in 2014.
It was fine. I used 3 blocks a day.