​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gas Cylinders

There is a small store (Patersons) which is also the post office, I was there 2 years ago and found the store usefull but cant remember if they had gas. Maybe give them a quick call?

P.S Just noticed they also have a facebook page if you wish to message them.

Geoff Hill
Hi

Does anybody know whether you can buy replacement gas cylinders for backpacking stoves in Drumnadrochit?

Thanks for any help

Geoff
Hi Geoff.

I'm afraid I do not know the answer to your question but I'm scratching my head as to why you would need a replacement gas cylinder so early on on the Challenge. Last year we spent an unusually long time getting to Drum - five days. Most Challengers get there in three or four.

I can't for the life of me fathom why you would need a replacement canister by Drum. Could it be that you're making brews for all the Challengers you're going to meet? If so, would you consider adjusting your route to a more southerly line so that we can avail ourselves of your wonderful largesse?

There are quite a few shops along the A9, that you'll be crossing a little later on, who will sell gas.

:face_with_rolling_eyes:

Hi All

Thanks for all your comments

As far as I can establish you cannot get gas in Drumnadrochit

Alan is correct, I shouldn't need replacement gas but I am planning to use the smallest sized cylinder and if I get delayed by streams in spate, which is a risk on the route I am taking I could be short by Aviemore

Thanks

Geoff

Simple answer is take a 250 cylinder, the extra weight can't be enough to cripple you surely! On our Challenges we used up to 4 250 cylinders between the two of us but we did boil water for breakfast, morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea plus an evening meal. We carried two canisters from the start and replaced them as needed. Also you can buy 250 cylinders much more easily than the smaller ones.

If you are heading to Drum via Cannich, the store there is very helpful, and got gas in for us last year.
The owner is Brad Collins, tel no 01456 415 201, www.cannichstores.co.uk.