​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cold Extremities...

I suffer from Raynauds and live in the north of Scotland, so I'm quite practiced at keeping my hands warm. I wear a combination of Icebreaker merino liner gloves, Montane Prism mitts and Extremities Tuff Bag overmitts, depending on the conditions. I like the liners just for that extra thin layer, I find mitts far more effective at keeping my hands warm as my fingers are all together and the Prism mitts are excellent. I am not convinced the Extremities are waterproof, but I do find them to be very windproof, so even if my hand get wet, these keep the wind off and stop them from chilling.
Works for me.

I've found that those little disposable hand warming pouches are effective - you can buy them in outdoor shops etc. You shake them and they give out a very gentle warmth that can last several hours. I find that just using one, and alternating between gloves, keeps my fingers warm enough, though it might need one in each glove in extreme conditions. I don't know how they work, but they don't seem to contain anything obviously noxious.

I too suffer with Raynauds and take a daily supplement of Gingko Biloba which makes a HUGE difference. Any health food shop and most pharmacists should sell it.
There are varying strengths. Boots do a high strength one of 120mg. So between Nov - April/May I'll take one a day but if going out walking on a cold day I'll take two. If I forget to take it I would be able to tell within about 10 minutes into the walk. I take them each day on the challenge and manage to walk most of the challenge without the need for gloves.
Ginger supplements work just as well but for some reason they are not so easy to find these days.
The Raynauds Society have done some research into this.
I've recommended it to loads of people who have found it's really helped them too

That's interesting information, thank you, but those on prescribed medication, like myself, should exercise caution as natural remedies are not recommended.

Hi, and thanks for the info, will look at getting some 'proper' mitts, and check out the Reynauld's disease. Cheers :+1:

Another vote for mitts.

Fingered gloves just increase the area where heat can be lost to the cold and inhospitable outside world.

With mitts your digits are encased in a cosy pocket of warm(er!) air - and they all snuggle up together, keeping each other warm. It's quite nice really.

My experience of using mitts includes motorcycling long distances in very cold conditions - sitting on a bike (not generating much heat 'cos you're not moving around) at 70mph, hour after hour at 0degC is a pretty good test.

Good luck with it, I think you'll find mitts beneficial.

Worth looking at snowboarding mitts. I have a pair of Bonfire ones which are excellent. Also possum wool (often mixed with merino) gloves are very good. You can get possum wool beanies and socks too. The socks are great for in the tent.

Thanks Robin that's very interesting, I'll check it out. Meanwhile, We (Wiltshire) are back in plus temp figures now! So I guess the next obvious question is, will Scotland in May require Mitts!?

Neil Fox
Thanks Robin that's very interesting, I'll check it out. Meanwhile, We (Wiltshire) are back in plus temp figures now! So I guess the next obvious question is, will Scotland in May require Mitts!?

RIGHT CLICK TO ENLARGE

What do you think?

:upside_down_face:

LOL!! :wink:

Is that the track over to the larig leacaich from meannach?

It is indeed, Sir! This picture makes it more obvious:

RIGHT CLICK TO ENLARGE IN NEW TAB

:slightly_smiling_face:

The warmest gloves I know of are Dachstein mitts - too hot for me except in very cold conditions though. I'm still using a pair that I bought in 1975. I believe that they are still available.