​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Online maps - OS or Viewranger?

Hi Ulla

You're getting lots of great advice as usual here. Reading the two parts of your post It looks as if you are happy doing traditional map/compass nav. but want the security of being able see exactly where you are occasionaly using your phone mapping and gps.

Unless you enjoy using tech (or are not so confident with map and compass) I wouldn't bother with route files or waypoints. I'd suggest planning your route online. Take paper maps (or even better printouts on Toughprint paper) and use the OS app on your phone together with the digital mapping that you got access to when you bought the paper maps.

If you don't have all the maps for your route (either digital or paper) you can buy digital mapping quite cheaply. Memory Map sells 1:50000 mapping for the whole of the UK for £60 or you can just buy a smaller amount of data and download the map tiles that you want to your phone. Checking your position from time to time uses very little battery life and can save you from carrying an extra battery or powerpack.

All I do is load load the most critical bits of my route (not just for the Challenge) onto my phone when I have wifi.

Willie

Re: Online maps - OS or Viewranger?

Thanks for your replies. I have a lot to look into when I return home from my mother's house next weekend! Now I just have to decide on the route. Reading challengers' blogs makes me change my mind all the time...