​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: First Time Challange

Sorry, Chris - just seen this.

We’ll be doing the Braemar to Ballater day on Monday, 21st too. I’m hoping to have a day off in Braemar on Sunday if I’m on schedule. We’ll be leaving after a big breakfast hopefully :grinning:

Joseph,
Like you, I'm a first time challenger setting off from Shiel bridge - I've planned a low level route on what I think will be some of the busiest paths on the Challenge - Fort Augustus, Newtonmore and Braemar are the main stopping points.
I'm not leaving until Saturday 12th (partly to avoid the busiest days on the early sections, partly because life outside walking is constraining), will look out for you en route if I catch up.

I've always enjoyed walking on my own and meeting up with new people along the way - for me its the best of both worlds

My route has been okayed by the vetters so I'm good to go.

Hope to see you on the hills.

Hi Joseph,

I'll be starting from Shiel Bridge and will look out for you. I'm going over the Falls of Glomach then to Glen Elchaig.

If you are travelling on the bus from Glasgow, you are bound to meet other Challengers. I'll be on the morning bus.

Cheers,

Ian

You'll be absolutely fine Joseph.
A few nerves isn't necessarily a bad thing, it shows that you're taking it seriously. Shiel Bridge is a VERY sociable and popular start point, I'll bet your route will have almost planned itself!
One thing that has been mentioned once or twice in the various replies you've had: the Challenge is a sociable event, you're not going to spend a huge amount of time on your own!
See you in Montrose.
JJ

Hi Joseph,
To my utter shame, I actually managed to talk myself out of doing the TGO for the first time some years ago as I wasn't sure whether or not I was mentally up for doing it solo. Then someone invited me to join their group, which I jumped at the chance to do. I have very clear memories of the beginning of the second day thinking to myself "I could have done this solo, of course I could. What on earth was I thinking?!"
I became one of the many Challenge addicts from that trip and have since done it twice solo and loved it. I'll be doing it solo again this year, although not from Shiel Bridge so I may not meet you, at least not on day 1 anyway,.
Like Phil said earlier, you meet loads more people by doing it solo and I've made some really close friendships, quite unexpectedly and whilst in the middle of nowhere at times.
What I would say is, don't be put off like I was initially. It can be a daunting prospect until you get going, but once you do you may very well be joining our gang of addicts!
Hope that helps.
Sue

hi all thank you very much for the kind words and some great advice such a great community on here!! ive had a chat and my mind has been at rest lol cant wait to go got all my gear sorted lol now to download some reading for the journey from devon to Scotland and back I would like to put this out there as well a massive thank you to ali and sue amazing people!! look forward to meeting you all at some point :grinning: