​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Food availability

I just want to eat all the delicious food I can find! Those meat pies sound wonderful. Wonder how many would fit in my pack to bring back to the USA... ha

Phil,

Not surprised that like me you’re a primula addict - primula on oatcakes is one of my staples for backpacking, as are pork pies for lunch (a tube of Coleman’s English mustard sets them off perfectly).
In my experience the just add water and wait pasta meals aren’t brilliant - the ones that need a few minutes simmering are infinitely better. Most Co-ops also sell little packets of grated Parmesan cheese which improve the pasta a lot.
Another instant meal you’ll get in local shops is couscous - just add boiling water and wait five minutes.
I sometimes add apricots or chopped up chorizo slices to boost the flavour for only a little extra weight..

I’ve arranged one parcel drop for my crossing so will mostly use freeze dried meals, but I’ll be augmenting from local shops (Fort Augustus, Newtonmore and braemar for me) - we may bump into each other around the Cairngorms.

I've never had any problems resupplying in Drum, Kingussie or Braemar - pork pies are my staple lunch. Carbohydrate for short term energy, fat for longer term. If you want a Scottish food nostalgia trip, I wrote a blog post for Challengers on Scottish delicacies

As a Lincolnshire Yellowbelly exiled to Scotland, I have tried to bite my tongue but I feel the need to comment on the subject of pork pies.
Don't get me wrong, Scotland gives the world some wonderful food and drink, Aberdeen Angus steaks, seafood and whisky are the worlds best but there is very little pig breeding in Scotland, nearly all cattle and sheep, and consequently no tradition for butchers to produce pork products and no consumer expectations.
That means it is almost impossible to get a proper pork pie in Scotland. The mass produced cellophane wrapped snacks that you buy up here are a poor substitute. They are a useful backpacking snack as described by Ian but not really pork pies.
The problem is the quality of meat and the pastry:jelly:meat ratio. A proper pie is big and packed with good quality chunks of pork. The crust is just thick enough to keep the pie sturdy and there is only a thin layer of jelly made with pork stock between the meat and the pastry and the meat should consist of well packed chunks of white-grey pork, the sort of colour you would expect a Sunday roast to look, not the pink processed mush you get in the mass produced version.
The pie is big, and sliced into wedges as you would a cake. I remember as a kid butchers shops especially around Xmas having enormous pies for sale and I remember my grandma, an ex pastry cook, making pork pies using an enamel dish the size of a washing up bowl. That means you get a lot of meat and only a small amount of pastry and jelly in each slice. The pie is baked with the meat inside with a small expansion gap around the meat and once it is cooled the meaty jelly is added to fill the gap and make the pie a solid affair, the supermarket versions use tasteless jelly to pack out the pastry and make the pie look bigger. The best pork pies come from Lincolnshire, forget Melton Mowbray, they make a reasonable pie down in Rutland but not the best, they were just very good at creating a brand and marketing it. In Yorkshire they add bacon to the meat mix. [end rant]

Agree with you Brian, too much pastry and too bland. The best I have found up here is at Davidson the butcher in Inverurie but still too small.
Cheese and oatcakes are great for lunch. I do like Primula but Norway gets much better flavours (or more varied).

Oatcrumbs more like...
I buy rolls and sliced cheese, usually Leerdammer these days at survives well. I like that full tummy feeling 😊

Thanks all for the replies (and offer to do a drop in Braemar). It was the Melton Mowbray pies I was thinking of - I know they aren't great but you sometimes crave what you can't have if its been long enough. I will be partaking of true pies (hopefully close to my mum's Scottish pie recipe!) and other treats as well. You have given me confidence I can scrounge enough together in my stops without doing any re-supply packages. Good to know I might even be able to grab a few pre-packaged backpacking meals along the way for a backup plan. Not being able to get Primula cheese for a quarter century or so really makes it a delicacy! See you all in the highlands and thanks again!

If I am ever anywhere near Ballater I always buy a couple of Scotch Pies from the shop next to the bus garage, sorry don't know the name. I would even say they are worth by-passing Braemar for and heading direct to Ballater!

And also in Ballater the butcher on the corner just down from the Alexandra Hotel ( Sheridan's ) makes a very fine black pudding . . . and their pies are not too shabby . . .

Peter, I'm guessing that you mean the old bus depot on Golf Road on the central square which is now the Coop supermarket. https://tinyurl.com/y9ccqpul
The shop that you are talking about will be Chalmers.