​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keith Skeens

Ian Shiel has asked us to post the following message:

It is with very great sadness I inform you all that Keith passed away on 3rd December 2017.
Keith was a true challenge legend who completed 13 crossings during period 1984 - 1999. On two of these crossings he was accompanied by another challenge great, the late "No 57" Bernie Hynes.
Amongst his many other walking achievements Keith completed three mammoth charity walks between the Isles' of Sark & Muckle Flugga using central, east & west coast routes. During these walks he regularly walked upwards of 35 miles per day carrying as was norm then a large and heavy rucksack!
He was a quiet man who did not boast about his many and considerable walking achievements and one I'm proud to say was one of my challenge friends.
Keith was 84 when he died and is survived by his daughters Caroline and Elizabeth.
His funeral service will be held at 1:30pm on 3rd January at The Isle of Wight Crematorium, family flowers only please but donations can be made to Cancer Research. 

We would like to thank Ian for letting us know the sad news and making his family aware of this message board so they can see tributes to him and we would of course wish to add our condolences to Caroline, Elizabeth and the rest of his family.

Re: Keith Skeens

As Ian said Keith was "a true Challenge legend" but in his own time. I met him on several Challenge's as well as the OTHC and accompanied him on The John Muir although he was such a strong walker he generally disappeared first thing in the morning only to be seen once we reached our camp site in the evening. Another of the early Challengers to leave us, good bye Keith.

Re: Keith Skeens

Myra and I are deeply saddened by Keiths departure.Keith was a instantly likeable fellow,sharing his company was like a good malt,warming and good for the soul.He could walk the legs off many folk,Bernie Hynes being the exception, I,and many of my contemporaries can raise a glass to this man on January 3rd "to the legend Cooperman"
Our condolences to Caroline and Elizabeth and family.
Myra and Norman Reeves.