​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Footbridges on Keltney Burn exiting Glen Lyon hills

Colin Crawford
Hi Paul,

The black line at the point you specify is a waterfall, this being the standard OS symbol for such features. I can\'t see any others on that stretch but if it\'s a single black line over the burn, that\'s what they\'ll be. I recall that section of the burn being in a bit of a gorge so I\'d doubt that any fording attempts are likely to be successful.

The Allt Mor may be a better bet. From the area below Glenmore Bothy, there is actually a good path running along the north bank of the river, or at least there was back in 1998. Given the geological interest in the area, I feel reasonably confident that it will still exist or have been improved. There were a few deer fences to cross further down but I recall nothing horrendous. Perhaps someone else will be along soon with more up to date information.

Hope that helps

Colin
Thanks Colin! Very useful. I should have looked at the key on the map before posting :flushed: - I see the single line across a river is described as a weir.

Cheers

Paul

This is all rather interesting!

Having read through the thread I just 'knew' that the symbol for a waterfall on the 1:50k O.S. maps is a black line that cuts right across and beyond the width of the river or stream.

Indeed, it is what I had been taught in the Wolf Cubs at the tender age of eight!

A quick fumble through my store of by now ancient 1:50 maps tells me that this is exactly so. However, the mystery is that there is not a waterfall to be found on the key of any of my maps, no matter how old or new. Not on the map keys and not on any symbols keys on the interweb thingy either!

Generally, where this single black line cuts right through the watercourse it is always accompanied by the word 'Waterfall' or 'Waterfalls' or 'Falls' or some other tumbling like descriptor, always in a blue font. The waterfall you've picked out, Paul, does indeed have the blue descriptor 'Waterfall' adjacent to it.

:thinking_face:

Ah-ha! Yes you may be right.

I assumed the waterfall was to the left of the word 'waterfall' on the smaller tributary stream, but maybe the word is just put anywhere in the locality where there is a bit of space.

If you look a bit further along the burn there are some more black lines with the words 'falls' first on the left of the river and then on the right!

The line cutting across the tributary is in fact part of the O.S. symbol for a run of pylons. (They don't place the actual position of the pylons on the 1:50s, but do on the 1:25s.)

I think they place the descriptor where it has least effect on surrounding mapping.

:slightly_smiling_face: