​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Midge repellent

By a midge net. They're cheap, light and very useful.

In the summer, I use a midge net and a repellant that contains DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, if you are interested), which is a matter of personal taste. Although I have never had problems with midges on the Challenge, DEET is effective against ticks. You can buy individual impregnated wipes, which saves potential leaks.

The problem with midge nets is pureeing your camping meal sufficiently for it to go through the holes...

Emma, I'd value your opinion as a scientist on the pros and cons of using Deet repellents. It interests me that you seem comfortable in using it. I ceased to allow it near my skin years ago when I noted the effect which it had on plastics. Was I worrying unnecessarily?

Colin

I have tried a variety of different repellents and have found those containing DEET to be the most effective by some way. There have been various reports of possible toxicity and I have also seen the alarming effects that this substance can have on plastics. However, I decided a while ago to use it, since I was only using it for a limited number of days per year.

The NHS on their website Fitfortravel recommends the use of DEET and Public Health England’s ‘Guidelines for malaria prevention in travellers from the UK: 2017’ states that ‘A variety of studies have concluded that there is a low risk of adverse effects when DEET is applied according to product directions’ and ‘DEET is suitable for all individuals over the age of 2 months (unless allergic)’.

I hope that is helpful, Colin.

But Colin, you're not made of plastic ... surely? :thinking_face:

Emma, that is helpful, thanks. It would seem that the risk is fairly minimal in reality but I still can't wholly erase those images of plastic bags dissolving before my eyes. I'd imagine that I'm probably more at risk from using mosquito coils in an enclosed tent and breathing in the smoke, something which I am inclined to do when camping in the height of midge season.

Phil, it's the effect on the Botox injections which I'm worried about....

Picaradin (active ingredient in Smidge and Autan Protection Plus) is supposed to be as effective as DEET but non toxic and doesn’t melt plastic http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/picaridin-vs-deet-which-is-the-best-insect-repellent/

Ta Robin. So Colin's good looks are safe! :smiley:

I am fortunate in that my wife has assured me that I'm naturally repellent.

:confused:

I use Smidge which I’ve found to be excellent. Claims to repel ticks too

Two years ago I stayed at Rowardennan YH, Loch Lomond. There was a cloud of mosquitos (not midges) outside. I decided to try out the Avon Skin-so-Soft, covered my arms and went outside. My kids were watching from the inside. They saw the cloud of mosquitos move aside as soon as I moved into the cloud. Succes ! But not real midges. This year I was with my son at the south end of Loch Treig and we were attacked in full force by midges (the real ones). I applied Avon Skin-so-Soft and my son applied Smidge. Neither of us was bitten severely but while the midges didn't come closer than 3 inches to me they landed on my sons arms and face. They took off almost immediately but it was very annoying for him. So AvonSsS will do the trick for me.

My wife or loved one is an Avon lady and the "skin so soft" stuff is actually a range of products and not just the one. Some of it has insect repellent in it and some of it doesn't. The stuff that doesn't does drown midgies, though. You have to read the labels.
Bing bong.