​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lochnagar FWA?

Tentatively planning a route leaving south out of Braemar to Auchallater, then across the bridge & going up Glen Callater to Lochnagar ridge, finally descending the Glas Allt to Loch Muick and Spittal of Glenmuick. Any FWA recommendations for this day? Other advice?

Re: Lochnagar FWA?

Hi Kent

I did similar route to you last year but over Broad Cairn rather than Lochnager. My FWA was E out of Braemar via Lions Face to A93, 2k along road to Invercauld Bridge, E through Balochbuie Forest the SE to bealach at NO 226 895, NE to Gelder Burn then SE by path and track to Spittal of Glen Muick. Max height is 700m so significantly lower than Lochnager. However weather was Ok so have not actually walked my FWA....
You main route is really nice so hope you too get good weather!

Really, the only viable FWA for this route is as Mike describes. In moderate rain or wind, you'd get away with following the path around Carn an t-Sagairt Mor then descending Allt an Dubh Loch but, given that this rises to over 3000 feet, it's hardly a place you'd want to be if conditions were extreme.
Don't get too concerned though, as I can think of only a handful of occasions in the last twenty years when folk have had to retreat from Callater. It's rare for the weather to be that bad in May when you're so far east.

Colin

All I would add to Colin's comment is that you check the weather forecast before leaving Braemar. If it looks doubtful stay on the camp site overnight and make your decision in the morning. Using either route you should be able to reach the Spittal of Glen Muick in one walking day.