​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hello ... and thanks!

Thank Mike.

Good advice. I’ve really enjoyed the planning process - just about on week two now!

One extra thought. Many solo tents are very cramped for space under the fly. Make sure you have enough room for ALL your gear either under the fly or inside with you, therefore a two person tent is often the most comfortable way to go. I have used a Nallo which at around 2kg is not too heavy for solo back packing.

Thanks Peter.

I’m managing to shed weight in other areas of kit so it gives me a bit more flexibility - still a bit more to do though!

Hi Paul

On my first challenge I used my old Vango Helium 200 which was fine but I found it a bit cramped after a few days even for someone like me who is vertically challenged (5ft 6in and a bit).

For my second challenge after doing lots of research I opted for the Trailstar. I've used it on several camping trips here in Scotland and yes in summer it doesn't keep out the midges unless you use your inner nest but that's not usually a problem in May. As I use walking poles it means I can save weight by not having to carry tent poles and also it's compact size when folded away but also the height & space it gives you when pitched. Personally I can't recommend it highly enough as it works for me.

Cheers

Thanks Ian

It’s certainly very roomy. I’ll add it to my list. There are so many options aren’t there? I think I’ll get some idea of what my final pack weight is likely to end up at and that will probably influence what I’ll end up doing. I like my Scarp 2 but was looking for something with a smaller footprint.

Cheers

Paul

I've used a Tarptent Rainbow on my last few Challenges. Loads of room for one; the Double Rainbow would be even more spacious!!!

Thanks David

I’m just looking at the footprints of Tarptent one person shelters at the moment!

Hi Paul

Sorry, I'm somewhat late to this thread. I've used a Tarptent Scarp 1 for three crossings and it's been superb. Very stable and plenty of room but with a fairly modest footprint. Having two vestibules is brilliant. IMO it's a superb all rounder.

Last year I bought a Tarptent Stratospire 1. This is also excellent, with an identical size inner to Scarp 1 but even bigger vestibules and superb headroom across the width of the inner. It saves about 400gr on the Scarp as it uses trekking poles for set up. Whilst it's very fast (in theory) to pitch, the weird geometry can make it problematic to get the inner on exactly the spot you want and that you think you have selected!

I've still not decided which of the two I'll take next May but the Strat may win because of the weight saving.

Hi David

Thanks for your reply.

I ended up buying a Tarptent Notch for last year’s Challenge. The small footprint, low weight and quick erection were appealing. There wasn’t a lot of room in it but I managed okay. It wasn’t tested at all by the weather as there was very little rain.

I do like the Scarp 1 and many say it’s an ideal Challenge tent - perhaps my next solo tent?

Unfortunately I was unable to apply for the 2019 Challenge due to family reasons but I’m hoping to put an application in for 2020.

Have a great crossing next year.

Regards,

Paul

Ha! I thought I was slightly late to the thread thinking you'd posted in early November this year. I now realise it was November 2017.

What a plonker. Me not you. Well probably!

Depending upon how tall you are, and if you like Tarptents, then the "Notch" is a rather splendid challenge tent.
Several people use them, and it has been my favourite TGOC tent in all my ludicrous number of crossings.

Dear ***
Just realised how old this thread was...

And you did get the TOP NOTCH!

Yes, an old thread 😀 I went with the Notch and it was excellent. Thanks for the replies though.