​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where to go after Braemar?

@ Grumpy
Plotting a route is no problem. Plotting a good route is different. I've never hiked in Scotland, so not sure what to expect. I mean, I'm used to snow (a lot!) in May, I would never go hiking in the mountains here in may.

I've been thinking of Jack's Road and heading over to Tarfside, to avoid the roads. The route seems pretty straight forward, but I don't know when to chose my FWA, or even what that would be.

My other choice is finishing at Dunnottar Castle, to stay off the roads as long as possible. I've been looking at (online) maps all afternoon, I have to get some paper maps soon.

If our paths cross, please be nice

I'll second Andrew W's recommendations. Enjoy your planning - it's all part of the fun

Hi Ulla, and welcome to the Challenge.

By now you should have read the Entry Notes sent to you by the TGO Challenge Co-ordinators. Pages 4 & 5 provide you with an excellent list of route planning resources. This is more than adequate to provide you with the necessary tools to decide upon a 'good route.'

Add this resource to Ordnance Survey maps and Google 3D view and you have a wealth of information available.

It's not that many years ago when all we had available to help us plan a route across Scotland was OS maps, books and Challengers' accounts of their crossings from the The Great Outdoors October magazines.

You have a few months now to enjoy the first part of the Challenge; planning your route, and sorting the logistics of travelling to your start point and back home from Montrose.

Have a great time.

Alan