Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
family history.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to use the message board.I am from Cheshire originally but have spent most of my life in the N.E.My grandfather was Herbert Foster from Knutsford b.1888. I have been researching his family for years with mixed success.Going back further I found that my grandfathers family often used two surnames, either Foster or Bennett.It turned out that his grandmother,Scholastical Forster had a relationship with a shoemaker from Prestonbrook in Cheshire.The resultant son ,William Forster or Bennett was born in Golborne in1799.I know very little about Scholastical. She was born in Winwick in 1777, and christened Lassey.She was the daughter of Charles Forster b.1747 d.Golborne 1788.I found the name Scholastical on a filiation document of the time in which Richard Bennett accepted his responsibilities for William.I know that Scholastical had several other illegitimate children by various fathers, and that she was a member of the Society of Friends in Ashton in Makerfield.Any advice or help would be invaluable. Many thanks, Graham.

Town: consett, co,durham

Re: family history.

Graham

I think that the Society of Friends (Quakers) was situated on Golborne Road in Ashton-in-Makerfield. This was (and still is) the main road linking Stubshaw Cross with Golborne.

There is a website called lancashire on line parish clerk which has lots of information on it that you might find useful.

In the 1700's and 1800's Ashton in Makerfield St Thomas was a chapel of ease to the main Church St Oswald at Winwick. Therefore Ashton residents who lived in the area of St Thomas Church may have their records as being 'St Oswald Winwick'.

I have had a quick perusal and found these but I don't know if they are your ancestors.

These are the information from lancashire opc :

Baptisms: 10 Aug 1777 St Oswald, Winwick, Lancashire, Lassy Forster - daughter of Charles Forster
Born: 15 Jul
Abode: Newton
Register: Baptisms 1777 - 1806, Page 1, Entry 29
Source: LDS Film 1655876

Baptisms: 29 Jan 1743/4 St Thomas, Ashton in Makerfield, Lancashire, England
Charles Foster - son of Joseph Foster
Born: 6 Jan 1743/4
Abode: Golborn
Register: Baptisms 1698 - 1764, Page 128, Entry 14
Source: LDS Film 1885657

Burial: 4 Jan 1788 St Oswald, Winwick, Lancashire, England
Charles Foster -
Abode: Golborn
Register: Burials 1777 - 1806, Page 54, Entry 5
Source: LDS Film 1655876

If these are your ancestors you can see that they lived in Golborn and Newton (current spellings Golborne and Newton-le-Willows.)

Kind Regards Karin.

PS Why don't you try posting on Wigan World there are some very adept Genealogists on there who are always willing to help too.

Re: family history.

Thanks for your help and advice re my Forster family.You have found Charles Forster d.1788 aged 41. This is my ancestor, but as you can see from the date of death, he was born in 1747.I found the birth, and he was the son of John Forster,but I have had no luck with John.I have been trying to find out more about Scholastical for years, and the name seems to occur quite often in the St.Helens region.Surely it must have been a family name.The birth was right too,even though she is refered to as Scholastical in the filiation document she was actually christened Lassey.On the LPCP I found a death for Lasse Forster in Blackburn. Even though it was around this period, the dates don't tally,although it could have been somebody misreading a date perhaps.Thanks again and I'll follow your advice and try Wigan.

Town: consett, co,durham