Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question

It's the largest prime number under 1000?

Nope, there are 50 more primes after 719 before you reach the number 1000.

Town: Mount Pleasant

Is this a legit question or something to do with the number on your front door??

Town: Stubshaw Cross

It is a perfectly legitimate question with no ridiculous calculation needed. 719 is unique in it's special ability as a 3 digit prime. I shall reveal the answer at 00.00 hour.

By the way my door number is 3, which is the 2nd prime. 2 and 3 put together make 5 or 23, which are also primes. You can find primes everywhere. Hint hint.

Is it because 719 is the sum of seven consecutive primes (89 + 97 + 101 + 103 + 107 + 109 + 113),

Or is it because the hour and second hands of an analog clock align exactly 719 times every twelve hours.

Town: ashton

Bloody hell Karin that's some general knowledge or good googling :-)

Also each number 7 and 1 and 9 are prime numbers and the total 7+1+9=17 is a prime number. But I like Karin's better
Alan

Town: Br/Ash

Good evening Alan, I fear the permutations for this could carry on indefinitely unless it's s8's door number :-)

Sorry to be a pedant Alan but 1 isn't a prime number.

Must be honest though Karins is a smart answer.
Bet section8 didn't come up with that himself!

Some excellent answers. It's even more special than i'd imagined.

Nice try alan, but 9 isn't a prime number, but great that the sum of them are also a prime. Glad it got you thinking.

Even though it seems that there are many answers that make it special, it is unique in being only 3 digit prime that if you remove any number, you make 3 further primes with the remaining numbers.

Eg: 71 if you remove the 9, or 79 if you remove the 1.

Could even be the highest prime number that your able to do this to. Feel free to find one higher.

Nice one... I like all the answers.

Hands up Karin did you google that? :)