Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
History Night

There is to be another "History Night" at Stubshaw Cross Labour Club this coming Thursday 23rd of June. Doors open at 7.00 p.m.

Lots of information on family trees and the history of the local area with lots of old photographs etc.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Re: History Night

will there be a talk etc or is it a sit and share/swap info for your own family trees/local history?

am interested but not sure what happens at these type of events.

thanks,

wendy

Town: ashton

Hi Wendy

There will be a short powerpoint introduction to some history of Stubshaw Cross, a talk on ' Lancashire Speyk' and then everyone will be free to view a dozen or so connected family trees as an example of the BIG tree. The Trees on display will connect each other and refer to photographs, WWI records and St Lukes school records will be available for searching.

The BIG tree can be searched via laptops and contains over 200 local surnames all connected to one BIG tree.

If you are interested in family research you should come along and please do bring along any research of your own.

Hope to see you there and your family tree.

I was so sorry to have missed this although Ian told me about it last week I was going to watch a concert in Liverpool.. I hope that it was well attended and I would love to come next time.

Town: Ashton

It was a good night Debbie but unfortunately not many turned up (compared to the other nights anyway). The night was based more around the family trees in Stubshaw Cross. Obviously a lot of time and effort had been spent getting the trees together.

See you next time.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

We came to the History Night. We enjoyed looking at the old artefacts table. The Lancashire speyk man on the banjo reminded me of the Irish songs that I have heard in Dublin Bars.
Well done to those who put the effort in and arranged the night.

Did Ray Davies give a talk on Stubshaw Cross history?

He seems to be a mine of information about the area.

An elderly lady spoke about Stubshaw Cross. I can't remember but I think her name was Florrie ?

It was a HISTORY night Jemmy. Comedy night was at the Fleece.