Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Domesday, Ashton in 1986

Found this on another forum i use

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1986, the BBC (in partnership with Acorn, Phillips and Logica) released a digital Domesday book to celebrate the 900th anniversary of the original Domesday book. It created a snapshot of what life was like in the mid-80s in the United Kingdom. The setup used a specially-adapted BBC Master computer (the successor to the more well-known BBC Micro, both produced by Acorn) and a Laserdisc player, a setup known as the Master AIV, or the Domesday system. It was feared that the data would be lost due to digital obsolescence in that there were very few Laserdisc players around and even fewer that could read the discs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

typed WN4 postcode in and found some pictures.

heres the link:
quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-356000-399000

Town: Ashton

Re: Domesday, Ashton in 1986

Thanks for putting this on the forum Matt. I enjoyed reading all the data too.

In 1986 an Ashton resident wrote "The crime rate is low and we have our own Police Station.".

Fast forward to 2011 and re-write the quote "The crime rate is high and we don't have a Police Station"

It was interesting to read about the ongoing work at the 3 Sisters in 1986.

Town: ashton

Re: Domesday, Ashton in 1986

First thought that came into my mind after reading a few articles - "Is this written by children??"

After seeing the "Primary School" entry, it dawned on me that yes, this IS written by children. Not only that, but it was written at Nicol Mere. While I was there.

Who knows, I might have played a small part :p

Some good readin'.

Town: Ashton