Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Be Aware!

The racecourse applied for permission to build 'Executive Type' houses on that land way back - maybe 20 years? We were living on the heath then and objected, as did lots of other folk, and it was kicked out. They claimed it wasn't part of the heath, and that they owned it. I seem to recall that lack of access was the reason for the council rejecting the plans - maybe it's taken them all this time to get hold of that little extra piece of land that would connect it to Heath Road/Windsor Road and so form an access? I'm speculating, of course. I really, really hope they don't build there.
NB Haydock Park belongs to the racecourse administrative group known as Jockey Club Holdings, hence the reference.

Town: Ashton

Im not sure where this land is?

Is it the land that is/used to be fenced off on the right hand side of the path that leads to the path alongside the racecourse that meets up with the derelict railway bridge?

That old garage and the strip of land behind it, was sold through Pugh Auctions a while ago. I remember seeing it listed.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

I was speaking to a lady who lives in the area and she mentioned that one of the things that stopped the previous developement was that the gentleman who owned the garage wouldn' sell. I gues that was why they were surveying the garage area and the road leading to it?

Town: Ashton