Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Be Aware!

Hi

I imagine a whole load of people saw this but just in case...I was walking towards Ashton Heath this morning and just as you pass the council houses on the right hand side I saw a young man with all the surveying gear and noticed a van parked near the garage which backs onto the fields.

I went and asked what he was surveying and he told me that the Jockey Club (Mr C Fellows) had given them instructions to survey the road and garage running into the field.

Now, I don't know the history of the field, but I will bet my bottom dollar that they are hoping to develop it for housing and such like?

I don't know if this worries people around that area, but I dont like seeing any green field built upon without the community knowing and hope that people care enough about the overload of housing and industrial units in the Town to question such a development?

Town: Ashton

Re: Be Aware!

The field that you are referring to Debbie was once part of Cookson's Farm. On the 1839 Tithe map that particular field was recorded as :

Landowner - John Cookson
Tenant Farmer - James Ashton

No 664 HEATH FIELDS 2 acres 3 roods 6 perches ploughed

No 667 HEATH FIELDS 5 acres 2 roods 17 perches ploughed

No 679 HEATH FIELDS 3 acres 1 rood 18 perches potatoes

I hope you like the history of the field !!

Regards Karin.

Town: ashton

Anyone got a map to pinpoint the site?

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Thanks Karin, that's brilliant, it doesn't happen to show a footpath through it...I suppose that would be asking too much? x

Town: Mount Pleasant

Is that an up to date map Section? :)

Town: Stubshaw Cross

The racecourse applied for permission to build 'Executive Type' houses on that land way back - maybe 20 years? We were living on the heath then and objected, as did lots of other folk, and it was kicked out. They claimed it wasn't part of the heath, and that they owned it. I seem to recall that lack of access was the reason for the council rejecting the plans - maybe it's taken them all this time to get hold of that little extra piece of land that would connect it to Heath Road/Windsor Road and so form an access? I'm speculating, of course. I really, really hope they don't build there.
NB Haydock Park belongs to the racecourse administrative group known as Jockey Club Holdings, hence the reference.

Im not sure where this land is?

Is it the land that is/used to be fenced off on the right hand side of the path that leads to the path alongside the racecourse that meets up with the derelict railway bridge?

That old garage and the strip of land behind it, was sold through Pugh Auctions a while ago. I remember seeing it listed.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

I was speaking to a lady who lives in the area and she mentioned that one of the things that stopped the previous developement was that the gentleman who owned the garage wouldn' sell. I gues that was why they were surveying the garage area and the road leading to it?