Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ashton's 1st gala

Hi,
Does anyone know about Ashton's 1st gala taking place this year? any information would be great, Thanks.

Town: Ashton

Re: Ashton's 1st gala

The Gala will be hosted by Friends of Ashton and will be held on the Liverpool Road Garden opposite St Oswald's Church (sat nav postcode WN4 9LH)

The date is Saturday 21st May 2011 11am to 4pm.

There will be entertainment from local community dancers and stalls for fun and entertainment. Birds of prey and other attractions will be on display.

Face painting, pony rides and craft activities for children to enjoy.

Does anybody have any other ideas to put forward ?

Town: ashton

Will there be parking on the NUPRO site?

Yes we have arranged parking at the NUPRO with the Priest of St Oswalds. Also we have checked with Rev Thomas at St Thomas Church on Warrington Road and he has agreed for parking there too.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posting children can come in Fancy Dress and there will be a Fancy Dress Parade Competition

A 'gala' indeed. It's going to make Ashton a laughing stock. They couldn't organise a proper gala to save their life. Will there be a 'talk on Ashton history', by Walter Carney, by any chance?
The mention of 'Face painting' says it all!

There's supposed to be a Town Festival every year, and look what a dead loss that is. There's hardly any Ashton residents know it exists.
They want to take a look at the festivals held in small Spanish villages and learn from them.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

Very positive Jemmy!
Why don't you give up your time and help out?
Maybe your input could make it a better event.
Just bad mouthing people who try do something is no way to improve things.

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Ian, it's not 'bad mouthing'. It's called being critical.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

Most reasonable people welcome constructive critisism, unfortunately yours tends to be destructive and is not welcome by most reasonable people. Why anyone would want to be like that is beyond me..............STOP...... before you prove me right.

Most Kindest Regards
Alan

Town: Br/Ash

Hi,

Could someone from "Friends of Ashton" supply me with some contact details so I can get further details about the gala please.

Kind Regards.

Town: Ashton-In-Makerfield

Hi

I think a Gala is a nice idea but there must be safety concerns given where it is sited with parking across Liverpool road.

Would it not have been better to hold it in Jubilee park which is atleast fenced off from the main road especially as it will attract young children.

I thought the Gala had been held there for the last few years - what made it move to Liverpool road ?

Thanks Denise

This is the first Gala that has been arranged by Friends of Ashton. The event that is referred to at Jubilee Park is unrelated to this Gala.

The mission behind hosting the Gala at Liverpool Road is to raise awareness as to the voluntary work carried out by Friends of Ashton at the site and to raise funds so that the project can continue.

Liverpool Road Garden is tended by 100% voluntary effort and donations from Friends of Ashton. If you recall the site ten years ago it was an overgrown tip. It is now maintained and looks presentable.

We thought a Gala would be a nice idea for the community. It is being hosted by 100% voluntary effort.

Sarah, what further information do you require ? I will try to answer through this forum in order to share with other readers.

Kind Regards Karin

Hi Karin,

I run a free local publication for the Ashton, Bryn & Garswood area and just thought a small piece on the Ashton Gala would be an event that local residents would like to read and find out about. If you would like it publicising then let me know. It goes out first week in April.

Regards.

Sarah

Town: Ashton-In-Makerfield

Sounds brilliant Karin, well done to all involved.
I know these things are hard work to organise but worth the effort.

Hope all goes well for you.

Liz

Town: Stubshaw Cross

Some free publicity would be fantastic thank you. I can be emailed at kdkdahd@blueyonder.co.uk

Is Ashton having another Gala

Does anyone know if Ashton are having another gala this year (2012)??

Re: Is Ashton having another Gala

We are having a Gala on Saturday 19th May 2012 on the Liverpool Road Garden opposite St Oswald's Church.

Any local community group or charity that wants to be involved will be very welcome.