Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Stubshy stag do

It was Orchard st I just looked at Google maps,I have a sister who is 1 year older than you called Pauline,she went to Evans school then to the central,did you not know her?

Town: Ashton

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Stubshy stag do

I do vaguely remember the pigsties, but we lived at 137, opposite the Cally, so they weren't behind us, but behind my grandparents house I think, where there were also some pens.
Sorry, don't think I know your sister either. I went to St Ozzies then John Rigby. Next door to us were the Houltons, who had three kids, an older lad and the twins, Ann and Ben, who I used to play with.
There were some good shops in the area back then. Wright's was near us, as was Johnson's, and further up was the Mrs Cunliffe's sweet shop, a butchers and the chemist, Turton's. At the junction with Bryn Rd was Cottam's, later Picton's I think. On the even side of the road past my grandparents house was Mrs Byrom's and further up another butcher's, where my mum used to send me for stuff. Famous was Annie Harrison, who lived on Bryn Rd South and used to cut all the kids' hair, with hand-operated clippers, ouch.