Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Road through flashes

Seems a shame the fight to stop it Stopped

Town: ashton

If more Wigan Borough residents knew about it then surely it could have been stopped. A Dual-Carriageway across the top of Scotsmans flash just makes me feel helpless. The public consultation was just 6 days before the plans were submitted. I reckon loads of people will kick off when they start building it... but then its too late. I was told that "many many hundreds were consulted". Hundreds??!!! this affects the whole borough!!!. Came as no suprise that the plans got passed as they had already bulldozed down folks houses to make way for the road.
All is not lost. Lets watch Martin on the day before he was assasinated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0FiCxZKuv8&mode=related&search=

Andrede

Hi
As regards the houses,you refer to Andrede, these houses were compulsary purchased prior to the election of a Labour government. When there was to be a ministry of transport financed link road between the M6 at Orrell and the M53 at Bolton.
After a spending review when Labour were elected this scheme was dropped.

The issue of road building is always going to be contencious, if we don't build a good road system local industry will move elsewhere. Ultimately making us a dormitory town a even more movement of people by road.

Consultation is expensive, the alternative is unacceptable.

Some of the areas between the roads at the Worsley interchange are the most unspoilt places by man, strangely enough , due to their inaccessability.
The horrors perdicted by Swampy with the North East Lancs motorway have not come to fruition.

So if we are to accept a road past the flashes, I believe the fight should be to ensure that is what it is, a road past the flashes and no more.
If we had, no mines we would have had no flashes, development has its advantages ultimately if handled properly.

Your views Please.

Alan

Town: Ashton