Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my little stick of Blackpool rock

Hi
I read that at long last, Wigan is to give recognition to George Formby. The council is quoted as saying, the image George Forby portrayed was one that Wigan was trying to lose.
What do you posters think?

I recently parked my car in a carpark in Ludlow, at 11.00am on a Sunday morning George Formby could be heard from a nearby house. I asked a local, who liked George? he replied he always plays George Formby on a Sunday morning. I explained that I came from Wigan and the council didn't like the image George Formby represented for the town.
Why not was the reply we all like George round here.
Alan

Town: Ashton

Re: my little stick of Blackpool rock

Alan read this Mr Formby is in the running for being voted "THE BEST NORTHERNER"

http://www.wigantoday.net/wigan-news/Formby-in-poll-for-best.3190350.jp

Town: ashton

I wouldn't go so far as to vote him 'the best northerner' but I'm pleased that he is at last getting recognition here. He was one of the famous northerners at a time when there was little recognition of life outside London. He also did a great job entertaining the troops during WWII. About time he had a statue erected to him.

- David -

Town: Ashton

hiya

im confused about the issue surrounding George Formby ... colleagues i worked with in Warrington (many years ago) told me that George was born in Warrington and that us Wiganners should 'leave well alone'.

i was also given the impression that he wanted out of wigan at the hieght of his fame ... theres nowt wrong with this town really ... and that he never ventured back into the area. However, how many other long-gone-famous-folk have ever returned to their roots? Not many i'll bet.

my own opinion of him is that i enjoyed his films as a young kid, they were always funny and his songs used to make me laugh! anyone with a great sense of humour always has my vote! ;O)