Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: safe place to go shooting a air rifle

Hi Ian and Karin

Sorry, but if you see a loony woman with 2 black dogs jumping up and down in your sights, breathe a sigh of relief ITS ONLY ME! (I will be the nutter trying to warn the Wood Pigeons) :((

Town: Ashton

ian, could you define safe?

this is like me asking could you recomend a road that would be safe for me to break the speed limit? can you assure that someone isnt going to step out into the road, because im pretty sure i cant assure you that you wont accidentily hit someone with a pellet.

if you are interested in gun sport you could try airsoft. its an organised small scale war with fully automatic bb weapons. google it for more information.

other than that, stick to your own property.

thanks

Town: same as u

Ian, your style of writing tells me that you're a young person. And, as a young person, it will be hard for you to take advice, but here goes.
No farmers will allow you onto their land with an air rifle. Shooting is, very much, a 'closed shop'. In other words, you have to be 'in the know'. If you were 'in the know' you'd already have connections with people who shoot.
It's very hard for a gun to get into a shoot, such as Rainford or Haydock Park, without money and influence. Air guns will not be accepted in any case.

Just use it to knock pop cans over in your back garden. That way you'll stay out of trouble.

Town: Bryn, Ashton in Makerfield.

'as a young person, it will be hard for you to take advice'
How dare you! People younger than you are mathematicians, doctors, lawyers, teachers. Don't be so stereotypical of 'young people'.

Indeed, Jay. But you wouldn't see a young mathematician, doctor, lawyer or teacher wandering around a public area shooting an air rifle, would you?

And, further to that, here's a list of 'problems' associated with air rifle use in the UK -

The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-

Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.
In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.
Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.
Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine.
Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine.
Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 17 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 £1,000 fine.
Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.
Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.
Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly.

What so just because they're mathematicians etc that means they can't like air rifles? Yet again, you're putting people in groups and judging them. And as much as I appreciate you wasting your time finding all those penalties for different air rifle laws, none of those have been broken by Ian, so that's a complete waste.

VERY WELL SAID!!! its about time that someone told the VAST amount of people on here that not all younger people than them are yobs! And in any case its there generation that made the yobs, yobs. Pot meet kettle.

Town: ashton

im 32 y/o. just tryin 2type on a tiny laptop. how do u know what !every! farmer will say u fool.and have the know how and the connections.what are u? some small minded toff who thinks she knows everybodys opinion on farmers and air rifles. know how.conections.lmfao.all i do is go to the farmers house anmd explain that i would like to wonder roun d his woods n rid him of them vermin pidgeons,and im guessing most will see no harm in this,infact theyd be glad of it. and also be happy to see some1 trying to go about it the right way.how can u know what every farmer will say on this matter.its there private property and totaly up to them.know how and influence,u fool. a bit ov politness and manners go a long way,who are u? ?mystic meg?.how about next weeks lottery numbers?.and id like to thank the person that came up with this idea to ask the farmers and this is what i shall now do.ian (idiot with rifle)

I know what farmers will say, Ian, because I'm 'in the know'.
I've also been a member of several shooting syndicates since the 1970's (Crank / Car Mill / Billinge / Haydock / Leigh and North Wales) and hold a firearms licence.

Ian, there's only one 'fool' on this page, and it ain't me.

Jay, you'll find that 'Ian' has broken the first three of the offences listed there in addition to the seventh.

and i still hold my fire arms liscence from the nillitary. we used sa 80 semi automatic assault rifles and a 9mm pistol as a side arm. but now not in the forces and the liscence will run out after x ammount of years away from the army. but im not interested in using these types of firearms,just a plain simple 2.2 air rifle.im sure to a farmer there would be no harm in this.but i shall have 2c

Ian, you can only ask. Try Mr.Baldwin (his names Stuart) as Karin suggested, or Mr Lillis (also Stuart), who lives next door. You'll be one of thousands asking the same question, but best of luck.

but what i was used to fireing and trained in using is just a little bit different than fireing shotgun
s cartridges at clays and pheasants.lol.but as said im no longer interested in this,just a 2.2 air rifle/lol

i dont know these farms but im guessing 1 of them will be on the left leading up2 the abandond railwaylines 2wards haydock park? ive seen the sign its some sort of bird of prey sanctuary so of course he wont allow this. ur talking about the farms by u n the heath, there are many more normal farms with woods n no bird of prey sanctuary where i shall go and ask,i noticed this sign

"i noticed this sign as i was kneeling down next to is as i shot several pidgeons off his roof"

You've just pleaded guilty to the following two offences, Ian -

'Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine'

and

'Carrying a loaded air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine'.

The abandoned lines are railway property and are patrolled by the railway police.
Add this one to your collection -

'Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine'.

yes officer and pigeons are still vermin. who died and made you god?

Ian. Read Vic's explanation on the 'Idiot on Ashton Heath' thread.

again who died and made you god?

and the abandond lines are not a public footpath and therefore legal 4me and my air rifle

ian
and i still hold my fire arms liscence from the nillitary. we used sa 80 semi automatic assault rifles and a 9mm pistol as a side arm. but now not in the forces and the liscence will run out after x ammount of years away from the army. but im not interested in using these types of firearms,just a plain simple 2.2 air rifle.im sure to a farmer there would be no harm in this.but i shall have 2c

Bollox

this is standard personal firearms in the military. up to you if you believe me or not. what did you think we use in the army a pellet gun or a farmers shotgun. i dont think so somehow. come on idiot

im sorry but i have to make one final post regarding our personal weapons of sa80 and side arm 9mm pistol. i think you need to do your homework on this subject. can you imagine this.,,,sergeant...right lads its all kicking off can you all please report to the armoury at 1400 today and collect your peashooter and catapault.. idiot

SA80? The biggest danger apparently was to yourself with the early versions.
It is a shame this post has been reduced to personal insults.
Perhaps it is a case of "You with the least guilt cast the first stone"
Guns of any caliber are always going to be an emmotive subject. There are always going to be us urban dwellers who do not realise that cute little cteatures are vermin. Many cows are being infected by badgers but the "urban dwellers" are up in arms OOPS. Whilst putting their plastic bottles of milk in their trolleys.
As I have said before we are in a highly populated area and that results in manyfreedoms of the countryside being restricted. I do hope you find somewhere same and hopefully will be symbiotic.
Regards
Alan

Town: Br/Ash

i just read your comment to ian about his weapons in the army julian. surely our lads dont go to afghanistan with a pocket full of conkers and a bottle of varnish. are they told to play paper, scissors and stone on the front line ? i dont remember seeing that on news at ten. and youre all calling ian the idiot? hmmmm

Yes ian, I did go to college. 06 - 07 light vehicle maintenance at wigan college, 07 - 09 level 3 nvq at Glasgow training group. Posh? No.. able to read, write and spell correctly, yes

You know what farmers will say? You can read minds now? Hmm, nice skill you've got there. Also, I see that you're atleast 40 years old. For someone of your age, you're blatant discrimination and stereotyping is amazing.

Jay: the fact you just said he must be atleast 40 and have a stereotypical view of young people is stereotypical in itself is it not? I'm 21 so well entitled to express the views of young people and whilst there are some young people who conform to being "good citizens" its obvious that the majority are quite frankly scrotes. If you don't like it, your welcome to express your opinion elsewhere

Ian: your persistence to break the law is rather concerning considering you were in the "military" . The police will be informed of the locations you have intention of shooting on.

Best of luck

i wont be shooting there anymore. cba with the hassle so the police wont be bothering me and physiclly you nor anyone else can do naff all to me again thanks to the army and my training so you can type your college boy poshness and big words all you want and ill remain my rough tough army boy self. see ya

It's not stereotypical, he said he's been going to shooting syndicates since the 70's, so unless he's been shooting since before he was born, seeing as it's 2011, he must be atleast 41, and that's only if he's been shooting since the day he was born. I'm 17, and well entitled to express the views of young people, so, take my advice and go **** yourself

Love from Jay, the scrote.

the bloke only asked a question and yet he has had very few answers, only people acting like children!

try the golf courses mate, my uncle used to do it for cash for them to get rid of rabbits and grey squirrel's that are also vermin and damage the grounds, if they wont let you then join a club mate.

all the best from one of a few adult people on this site.

i totally agree chris. and thanks mate for your suggestions.much appreciated

ur right mate there all dicks,busyboddies and self appointed elite. check the idiot with rifle forum.ul av a rite laff. they started.......but anyway,ur saying not only can u shoot there,theyl pay me!!!. get in.theres nowhere to go. pp,l everywhere,when i was a kid ppl was always out avin fun n flyin round fields , canals ect with old motorbikes and nobody botherd them.now the police simply take them off the kids. i was thinking the abandond lines up from the heath near haydock park...not a public footpath in sight, but some how theyl be a problem there!. maybe the houses below ringing the police, but iv checked it out , u cant uise a air rifle in a public place. and the definition of that is 100 metre from a public footpath,ie none there

Ian , if you found somewhere suitable , what do you intend to shoot at?

i hope only stuff that he can, magpie, grey squirrel, wood pigeon,rabbit and rats.

yes mate exactly that

vermin,ie pigeons rats ect

ian
ur right mate there all dicks,busyboddies and self appointed elite. check the idiot with rifle forum.ul av a rite laff
yeah i saw that one, funny, the thing you have to remember about this site is that the vast majority of the people on this forum are the kind of people that hate that they no longer have youth. And will do anything to make the youth of today have none too.

He said he was 32. A bit old for a youth dont you think?

i dont feel it,act it ore look it,i thinh im clinging on to the youth i never had, my mum sighned me away in borstal at 9yo , 7 days a week and got out at 16.locked in my bedroom 7pm till 8am

We all stopped pandering to the harmless obsessions of a certain poster re location. Perhaps now is the time to do likewise with somewhat less harmless obsessive postings. I have tried to treat you in a civil reasoned manner, but you continue to be offensive. I know it is no big deal but SHUT UP you bore me. And I don't care any more if you think I am some self appointed boring elite, that is preferable to your not youthfull but childish postings.
If you behave in such a manner on this forum perhaps the original posting was correct about where you aimed the air rifle, your postings since then do not lead one to trust your writing.

As we used to say in times past GO AND FIND ANOTHER STREET TO PLAY IN

Oh and by the way most posters on this site will concur it takes some IDIOT to rile me!!!!

MY Very Best Regards

Alan

Alan.

To use similar words recently spoken in Parliament, "Do calm down dear". The simple solution to your problem is, when you see that a certain person has made a post, JUST IGNORE IT, and go on to the next little gem of wisdom. Life is too short.

Robin.

Town: Maidstone

Robin
As also is said in parliament, "I refer my honourable friend to my earlier answer"

Regards
Alan

alan, why do you feel the need to post pretentious self indulgent crap? if you dont like, dont read!

"Tu quoque.”

I hope you find that sufficiently, "pretentious and self indulgent crap."

Alan

ur not wrong mate