Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
s
Sue
Roadworks in Ashton town centre
Does anyone know what the proposed roadworks are that are starting on 14th are for?
Views: 285   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 12:32pm
by CD
k
Kal
football teams
Does anyone know of any new football teams setting up in the area for kids 8yrs and under
Views: 181   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 11:57am
by Kal
r
RovH
Nuisance motor cyclists
There have been many previous postings on this topic so I thought this solution might be of interest. I have just come back from visiting my son who lives in Bangkok. His apartment block had a problem with teenagers racing each other around it in growing numbers.One...
Views: 324   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 11:27am
by Bob
Viridor Wood to Three Sisters
Recently I was on a trail from Viridor woods to three sisters and being a wheelchair user It was so nice around Viridor Wood to be able to access all areas. When Myself and my children wanted to go into Three Sisters we came up against Styles, which meant we had to t...
Views: 281   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 19, 2008 8:09am
by Chair
China -Olympics and Wigan
While the rest of the world is debating a boycott of the Olympics in China , Wigan Council welcomes with open arms the massive Chinamex company. Look into it and you will find that the dual carriage-way to be built through the Wigan Flashes ( YES THROUGH because t...
Views: 282   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 2:31pm
by Phil
s
Sue
Spare land
Does anyone know what is happening with the spare land on Golborne Road next to the carpet shop? I heard that they were building apartments but it has been fenced off for 12 months or more and still no building work.
Views: 265   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 10:38pm
by Sue
i
Imp
Disused line as a footpath?
Does anyone have any idea of the future of what used to be the railway branch line that left the West Coast Mainline at Golborne, and served Haydock Park Racecourse, Lowton Metals, an Oil Refinery and once continued much further? At the moment the decrepid bridge ne...
Views: 319   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 1:31pm
by David M
i
Ian
Noisy Weekend
I know I have posted on this before and that it provides recreation for a few but for the many listeners (an overwhelming majority) the 3 sisters race track is a complete nuisance! An all day long racket. If they are within the legal limits of noise for such prolo...
Views: 514   Replies: 39
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 7:41pm
by Peter Barnes
j
Julian
Ashton Rape
The woman who claimed she was gang raped behind mad jacks has been arrested after forensic tests on her at St Marys in Manchester, didnt show any sign of the attack. She is currently being held and questioned for perverting the course of justice.
Views: 251   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 7, 2008 6:25pm
by Julian
i
Ian
Tesco again
Went past Tesco yesterday about 6 o'clock and they had places cones across the entances to stop motorists entering. They always do this when they have no petrol but people still want to use the shop. The sensible people, desperate to use the shop had parked all al...
Views: 284   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 7, 2008 2:15pm
by Liz
j
Julian
Police
Over the last couple of days we have noticed a more noticable police presence locally, Today on 6 occassions patrols came round,Its good to see patrols again.
Views: 272   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 7, 2008 10:06am
by Mr Angry
j
Julian
Help
Did anyone see my request for help in todays Wigan Evening Post? it was on page 8. I am looking for help from young, old, anyone living in the location of the 2 estates. For those who missed the article and wish to read it please go to. http://www.wigantoday.net/w...
Views: 263   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 6, 2008 11:16pm
by Julian
Another great walk!
I went on another ramble up to my now favorite area 'Stubshaw Cross' on Sunday with the intention of going along Golborne Road and coming back through Haydock Racecourse. About half way along I spotted a walk way through the field and another of those great maps (pr...
Views: 274   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 6, 2008 11:04pm
by Dan
Ashton Morris Dancers
Ashton Morris Dancers were founded in 1978 by Paula Nickson and currently has dancers ranging from 4 to early 30's. The troupe is now experiencing severe financial diffulties which may lead to the groupe being terminated and the children involved bring left with noth...
Views: 207   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 5, 2008 6:18pm
by Gill P
Pavements in Ashton
How is it that, when the council is paying to improve the pavements in Ashton and installing bollards and seats, cars are still being parked on the pavement in front of the Ashton Fish Bar? How long will it be before the work is ruined, and why haven't bollards been...
Views: 301   Replies: 18
Last Post: Apr 5, 2008 3:52pm
by Alan Edwards
Well
Have a guess who's riding his off road bike at 10.30 pm on the Heath and up and down the road? No lights, pity there isn't much traffic about, preferably someone who's a bit shortsighted. Mmmmmm that's me, maybe I'll pop to the garage for a bar of chocolate.
Views: 293   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 3, 2008 9:47pm
by David M
Local Builder - 'Peter Pennington'?
Don't want to hog the site, but I was reading a book on the history of Ashton & Golborne by 'Tony Ashcroft' (fantastic old pictures of the area) and I noticed that the gentleman who built my house was called 'Peter Pennington'. Does anyone know anything about him, i...
Views: 268   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 3, 2008 8:15pm
by Debbie Gaynor
j
Jo e
Nupro
I have not visited this site for a long time and was suprised no one is talking about the Nupro. Rumours are flying about what is happening to the land, more flats to be built? were are they going to park for the Church? i was at a funeral there the other day and peo...
Views: 535   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 3, 2008 6:47pm
by Julian
w
Walker
Natwest ATM
Did they hire dwarves to fit the atm at natwest bank in ashton? i was walking past on my way back from the fleece and noticed that i would have to get on my knees if i wanted to get money out from there.
Views: 282   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 3, 2008 1:59pm
by Walker
Crime scene behind Mad Jack's
Just passed there, and the area behind the club is cordoned off, with two police cars there. I hear that a body was found there last night.
Views: 277   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 3, 2008 10:35am
by Darren
j
Julian
Fix My Street
A great new website that you can report problems on your road or neighbourhood anything from bad or faulty street lighting to pot holes in the paths / roads to littering. Once reported on the website the site then emails the relevant local authority immediately, and...
Views: 260   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 3, 2008 1:21am
by Julian
Football
I have been asked to help start up a football team for the teenagers on our estate, Does anyone have any experience in running or helping run, ie Training, Manager etc. Please email ridinglaneestate@blueyonder.co.uk Many thanks
Views: 185   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 2, 2008 11:23am
by Phil
h
Harry
Dog boarding kennels
At short notice I may have to make arrangements to send my dog to a boarding kennel for 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend a place please.
Views: 298   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 31, 2008 8:56pm
by Harry
Help
Does anyone who use this site live on both these council estates? We are in the process of starting up a tenants and residents assossiation in conjuction with WALH and the backing of Stubshaw Cross Residents Group. If you live on either of these estates and wish t...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2008 9:58am
by Riding Lane & Re...
Crime and Communities Review - Have your say
Received today from wiganvoices.com: Crime and Communities Review – Have your say. The Crime and Communities review is looking at how local communities, the police, local criminal justice agencies and other local partners can best work together to reduce...
Views: 187   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 25, 2008 11:54pm
by David M
a
Anne
Blind Register
Hello If you have a relative,friend or neighbour who is blind or visually impaired are they registered with the local Society for the Blind? It is Wigan,Leigh and District. Please call 01942 242891. I will then check the register. Anne- Society Secretary.
Views: 139   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2008 7:15pm
by Anne
c
Chris
Football Team
Does anyone know which football team plays on the pitch at the front of Byrchall High School on a Saturday afternoon. I was walking past and noticed that there was a game on and quite a few people watching and wondered how to get in touch about playing for a local t...
Views: 228   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 19, 2008 5:26pm
by Phil
i
Imp
Ashton Public Toilets
Am I the only one to think that the public toilets on Princess Road could be more accurately be described as a public disgrace? Here is a personal experience from last week (not for the squeamish); I was in need of a 'call' and so entered the toilets. Walking acros...
Views: 307   Replies: 15
Last Post: Mar 19, 2008 5:21pm
by Imp
Ashton Heath
For members of Ashton Heath Residents' Association, I've just found this on the web: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ashton-heath-litter-pick-part-1/1315954983?icid=acvsv1 Ha, memories. Especially seeing Mary from the farm, who's died since the video was reco...
Views: 219   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 18, 2008 12:20am
by David M
i
Ian
Park-and----------
Watching the programm "the woman who stops traffic" there were a number of ideas that came up regrading park-and-ride. Not only was this idea used at railway stations but park-and-ride at bus stations and one I hadn't thought of a park-and-stride.... a place where...
Views: 252   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 17, 2008 12:22am
by Ian
j
Jessie
Over 50s website
Great new national website for the over 50s http://www.myprime.co.uk
Views: 316   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 16, 2008 2:06pm
by Alan Edwards
i
Imp
Forum Censorship
Dear Mediator,I think it's a little extreme to censor innocuos phrases on this site. I refer to a reference to cigarette ends (f*g b**s) and the word d**mn*d which I recently posted, both of which are neither insulting or blasphemous (get on a bus full of school chil...
Views: 207   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 14, 2008 8:08pm
by Alan Edwards
c
Chris
Community News
I run a local magazine in the Orrell area, it's published monthly, A5 full colour, and carries a mix of ads and community news. Is there a similar magazine in Ashton? I've seen an old copy of the Ashton Extra, is this still going? And apart from this excellent web...
Views: 273   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 12, 2008 2:59pm
by Chris
Wigans Widest Bridge?
Hi I was walking past Barclays Bank and looked over the bridge,I then thought, where the stream is next seen, next to Travis Perkins. Does this make it Wigans widest Bridge? Rochdale claims to have Europes widest and it is similar and classed as a bridge. Alan
Views: 188   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 11, 2008 1:48am
by David M
Three Sisters Race Track
Hi When are the police going to do something about The Three Sisters Race Track I don't mean the one where the Go Karts go, I am refering to Locket Road. Every night we have a procession of "boy racers" going down Bryn Road and round Locket Road. You can hear the...
Views: 177   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 10, 2008 1:04am
by Ian
I'm impressed!
Over the past few weekends I have got the taste for walking up Bolton Road, down Riding Lane (was wondering the other day how this lane got its name) and through Viridor Woods. This was the first time that I had walked this way and I was so impressed with the work t...
Views: 326   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 9, 2008 2:48pm
by Alan Edwards
Frog spawn
First batch in my pond this morning - two weeks earlier than usual.
Views: 177   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 8, 2008 12:17am
by David M
r
Rose
National Service
There is often talk of bringing back National Service to solve today's youth problems. I wonder if any of the old codgers on here were called up and if so did they benefit. My brother did get called up and learned to take care of himself and his appearance and accept...
Views: 206   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 7, 2008 3:11pm
by RovH
w
Walker
littering
Hi. I Was reading the posts about the clean up team and the places that residents have seen high amounts of litter and i noticed that most of the places mentioned are where ashton youths go at night to hang out. i know this as i am one. past congregational areas have...
Views: 226   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 7, 2008 10:28am
by Alan Edwards
Walker
Hi Everyone I have started a seperate posting after reading the posting by Walker about vandalism. The reason being, this posting gives hope for the future, like he says, about being called "yobs" well yob is a backward boy ie a palindrome. I feal that walker...
Views: 182   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 6, 2008 9:30pm
by Alan Edwards
m
mike
vandalism
Just to let you know that the rebuilt Salvation Army citadel near Aldi was reopened recently and has been vandalised.downpipes from the gutters have been ripped off and smashed along with much indecent grafitti being sprayed on the new brickwork .. what is going wro...
Views: 258   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 6, 2008 8:24pm
by Walker
r
Rose
Car Insurance
Surprised to find so many cases of drivers caught without insurance -Wigan Observer . Out of curiosity (not being a car owner) what happens if you are hit by one of these people. Do you just have to accept the loss/injury/damage ?
Views: 234   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 6, 2008 7:43pm
by Rose
Where is He
What has happened to Pieman? not seen any postings for a while. Has he left the country? Sotland at least? Alan
Views: 212   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 6, 2008 7:09pm
by Alan Edwards
r
Rose
State Pension - Tax free?
Anyone else on this site who is old enough to have a State Pension will have been notified of their new pension. I thought that State Pensions were tax free and indeed you get the amount quoted free of tax. However you will also note that your tax-free pay gets reduc...
Views: 249   Replies: 12
Last Post: Mar 6, 2008 5:58pm
by Pieman
Fly tipping
I hope the person who dumped a mattress behind Captain's Lane Centre last Friday night (presumably a local resident) eventually develops some sense of social responsibility.
Views: 197   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 6, 2008 12:39pm
by Alan Edwards
r
Rose
Advice please
I took my grandson to the dentist today to have a tooth out. Unfortunately the dentist could not numb the gum enough to enable her to take the tooth out. She said it would have to be taken out at hospital and gave me a friendly looking leaflet on referrals with a num...
Views: 242   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 29, 2008 8:25pm
by Rose
Road Safery
I was walking to Ashton today and approahing the crossing after the chippy in Bolton Road, a pupil from one of the local schools was crossing. A small white van nearly ran him over, on the crossing, stopping half way on it less than six inches from the young man....
Views: 259   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 29, 2008 11:30am
by Alan Edwards
Damage to Ashton Heath
Once again gangs of youths are congregating in the woodland at Ashton Heath at night, drinking and generally menacing the public - yesterday as early as 5.30 pm. For some sad reason they take pride in smashing down the trees, besides setting fires and leaving their r...
Views: 333   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 28, 2008 9:22am
by David M
Volunteers wanted!
Ashton Heath Residents' Association is planting another 100 metres of hedgerow to complete the hedgerow planting done last winter. We are hoping to to plant next Wednesday and would welcome assistance from anyone who can give an hour or two to help. If you can ass...
Views: 186   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 28, 2008 12:37am
by Andrede
Good on you, Mr Singh!
>>A career criminal from Wigan was killed with his >>own knife as he tried to carjack a shopkeeper, >>police believe. http://www.wigantoday.net/wigannews/Criminal-killed-with-his-own.3794943.jp Just a shame that, having suffered knife wounds in defending your...
Views: 234   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 27, 2008 1:30pm
by Ian
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Free Forum powered by Bravenet