Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
p
pieman
nupro
i heard a whisper last night that the old nupro site is set to become a charity shop, can anyone confirm or dismiss this.
Views: 328   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 16, 2008 8:42am
by Julian
j
Julian
Riding Lane & Recreation Avenue Estates Tenants & Residents Association
We are in need of some assistance, we have a group of kids who want to take part in the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme. I have just been approached to help with getting the kids from Stubshaw Cross To Lowton Every Wednesday evening, What we are looking for is someone or a...
Views: 260   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 8:55pm
by Denise
Town Green Fete
Can people spread the word that Town Green Residents' Association is having a summer fair this Saturday at Orchard Street. There are stalls, competitions, bouncy castle and a display.
Views: 359   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 14, 2008 11:14pm
by Liz
j
Julian
Birthday
Many Happy Returns to my Dad and strange enough its his brothers birthday as well.
Views: 231   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 14, 2008 11:01am
by Alan Edwards
a
Andy
Sunday March
Was quite nice to see loads of people from different sides of life all walking down wigan rd. some good talent via music there too! well done anyone who was there, you made the afternoon interesting :D
Views: 275   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 9, 2008 1:16pm
by Ian
Do Gooders (Nosey Parkers) Etc
Hi There have been a few posts aimed at people who get involved in the community. I must admit at one time I almost shared their views, and so know where they are coming from. Let us accept that there are instances where people go over the top. With that Briti...
Views: 297   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 8, 2008 8:32pm
by Rose
Ashton Town AFC
Any players wishing to try out for the new 2008/09 season, Ashton Town Football Club are opening its doors for a players meeting and to meet the new management team. The Ashton in Makerfiled based club competes in the Vodkat North West Counties League and will be in...
Views: 255   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 8, 2008 3:47pm
by David M
Free swimming
So we are to be offered swimming for free-is this a Govt ploy to attract the floating voter?
Views: 170   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 8, 2008 3:19pm
by The philosopher
j
Julian
Enough Is Enough
We have had a lot of trouble here lately, I have just written to the local ward councillors and the press with this below. I am contacting you with regards to a hard core group of youths / young adults, For well over a year we have been having an increased problem...
Views: 341   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 7, 2008 3:26pm
by David M
j
Julian
Who is the gentleman in the hi viz jacket?
Who is this he looks familiar? ;-) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Kaliyoda/Wigan/3sisters/2008/May2008/3SISFunDay29-05-08-44.jpg
Views: 345   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 6, 2008 1:21pm
by Andy
r
RoyH
Ashton Heath mowing
For anyone interested- I have been asking about this and, weather permitting , it will be done by the end of the week.
Views: 262   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 5, 2008 8:03pm
by David M
j
Julian
House Broken into
Some good friends of mine have just phoned me up at 7.20am as they have got up ready for work and school, they discovered that they had been broken into. Credit cards, cash, mobile phones, digital cameras, etc. have been stolen. They live in Stubshaw Cross, so if you...
Views: 229   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 4, 2008 8:22am
by Julian
j
Julian
Riding Lane & Recreation Avenue Estates Tenants & Residents Association
Tonight at Ashton town football club we held our inaugural AGM where we elected a committee,The election of the committee was over seen by an independant person. And Im pleased to say we are now fully constitutioned and hope to work for the better of Stubshaw Cross,...
Views: 192   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 3, 2008 9:01am
by Julian
I"d rather be....
I'd rather be a could be if I cannot be an are Because a could be is a maybe who is reaching for a star I'd rather be a has-been than a might have been by far For a might have been has never been But a has-been was once an are
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2008 8:19pm
by The philosopher
Ashtonians AFC
Ashtonians Amateur Football Club are looking for new recruits for both the first and reserve team for the 2008-2009 season. Ashtonians play in the Lancashire amateur football league (open age) on a Saturday afternoon. Training will commence on Tuesday 10 June...
Views: 149   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2008 4:21pm
by Ashtonians
d
Debbie
Traffic!
After listening to the lorry drivers talking about the price of petrol, I was astounded to see a very large lorry going through Ashton Town centre on Sunday afternoon doing 55 mph, he lost me on Bolton Road as he headed up towards Stubshaw Cross. I would have though...
Views: 286   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2008 12:16pm
by David M
j
Julian
Police Raid
There was a police raid early this morning on Derwent Road At Stubshaw Cross, Ashton. The house was rented out to a Chinese man. No news on what the raid was for as yet. The police have spent the morning with all the house windows wide open.
Views: 262   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2008 12:09pm
by Bob
j
Julian
Three Sister Fun Day
Well done to Three Sisters it was a brilliant day out for all. We enjoyed it very much congrats to all organisers.
Views: 239   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 29, 2008 8:00pm
by David M
j
Julian
Tenants & Residents Meeting
Riding Lane & Recreation Avenue Estates Tenants & Residents Association are holding our first public meeting and electing a committee. on Thursday 29th May 2008 @ 7.30pm at Ashton Town Football Club on Edge Green Street. If you live on any of the following roads...
Views: 179   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 27, 2008 12:16pm
by Julian
d
Debbie
Another great walk!
I am wondering why, for years, I have travelled to places to do my walking when I have so much on my own door step. Last Saturday I walked to Stubshaw Cross, down to the Harrow, across to the Dover Lock, along the canal (fantastic wildlife over there), then from Bamf...
Views: 263   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 27, 2008 12:46am
by Ian
p
pieman
Something of value lost on Ashton Heath
All the work that 'good spirited volunteers are continually undertaking' is being lost due to our council not cutting the grass thereon. Litter, glass bottles and drink cans that are constantly being thrown upon the heath are not being picked up because the people wh...
Views: 327   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 24, 2008 8:15pm
by pieman
a
Archie
Hilton Street Church
I have just seen the damage caused by vandals to the Congregational Church next to the YMCA in Hilton Street, I am told it will cost ten thousand pounds to repair for the second time in six months. It is a sad state of afairs when a church has to resort to the use...
Views: 359   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 23, 2008 9:11pm
by Alan Edwards
Thinternet
Hi This is one of only two sites I can get as of now,12.00 noon. Is it my computer or is there a problem? Still it can't be bad when the only two sites are about A in M Alan
Views: 287   Replies: 15
Last Post: May 23, 2008 12:19pm
by Bob
a
Archie
Eavesway
The new coaches the first of the type in the UK are featured on the front cover of the June edition of Buses magazine just out this week
Views: 348   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 23, 2008 10:38am
by RovH
c
Chris
Eating out recommendations
Hi, Looking for a good place to eat out within 5 miles of Ashton...can anyone recommended anything? Not bothered about the type of food as long as it's good:)
Views: 259   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 7, 2008 11:22am
by Phil
Three Sisters and Viridor Wood Funday
Three Sisters and Viridor Wood Funday Thursday 29th May 10:30am - 5:00pm Come along to this joint event between the Three Sisters Rangers, the Friends of Three Sisters and the Forestry Commission. Try your hand at the many activities on offer including canoei...
Views: 283   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 19, 2008 9:14am
by Bob
p
Phil
Back to the Past
Hi, Seems a long time since there was a history topic, so can I start one by asking some questions of those in the know about Ashton history... 1. The Band House is said to be the oldest building, but what is the second-oldest? 2. What is the oldest pub still in u...
Views: 376   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 14, 2008 12:00am
by Andrede
r
Rose
Forgotten heroes
Outside Somerfield supermarket on Saturday a gathering of elderly gentlemen in berets was colecting for an RAF benevolent fund. During conversation they pointed out one member of their group at another door - a quiet unassuming type in his mid 80's. It appears that h...
Views: 269   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 12, 2008 4:32pm
by RovH
t
Tina
Andrew Thompson and Benjamin North
I search Andrew Thompson and Benjammin North. Someone knows them? I met them on Holiday in the year 1997. Please send me an email when you know them t_mueller82@gmx.de Thank you!!!
Views: 151   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2008 4:14pm
by Tina
Meeting
Riding Lane & Recreation Avenue Estates Tenants & Residents Association are holding our first public meeting and electing a committee. on Thursday 29th May 2008 @ 7.30pm at Ashton Town Football Club on Edge Green Street. If you live on any of the following roads...
Views: 182   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2008 11:03am
by Riding Lane & Re...
Clean up needed
The path down the side of Ashton Town FC and through the estate(Manor Park) leading to the play-pit on Bransdale Drive is again a complete tip. It needs a serious litter pick. If any local group wants to take it on, I am willing to volunteer myself to help ( and some...
Views: 411   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 10, 2008 10:39pm
by Debbie
j
Julian
SCRG
Well done to all those involved.
Views: 198   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 9, 2008 9:53am
by Julian
d
Denise
Ashton Forums
Does anyone know any other Ashton forums - I would like to keep up with whats going on/being said in AShton. i have lived in Ashton since I was 3 and although things have changed (haven't they everywhere - I still can't see me living anywhere else. I realise I might...
Views: 230   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2008 11:40pm
by Julian
j
Julian
Nathan Lightfoot
The young lad who came off his bike on Ashton Heath lost his fight for his life yesterday. My condolences to his family.
Views: 399   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 2, 2008 6:14pm
by abbott
Moped accident
Last night a 17-year old youth suffered severe head injuries when he lost control of a 125cc moped outside the Eagle & Child.
Views: 357   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 2, 2008 2:41pm
by Mark
b
bob
water meters
hi does anyone know the councils policy on allowing water meters to be fitted in council houses ,thank you bob.
Views: 199   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 1, 2008 7:22pm
by bob
MAY 1ST 2008
Isn't it sad when one considers the struggles our ancestors had for universal sufferage. In todays local eletions we will be lucky if 30% go to vote. Here is an interesting question, of the demands of the 19th century Chartist Movement, thank goodness, one demand...
Views: 315   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 1, 2008 4:54pm
by Alan Edwards
m
M.A.D.
Posting
Very Sorry the posting was not meant to be party political, It was meant to make a point.
Views: 267   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 6:38pm
by Alan Edwards
Underage drinking
According to WiganToday, police in Ashton were given £1,000 government cash to target alcohol-related anti-social behaviour and confiscate the drink during the recent half-term break. Does anyone know when this happened? Considering the problems we've had loc...
Views: 374   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 5:07pm
by Mark
m
M.A.D.
M6 Link to South Lancs Industrial Estate
Is a vote for Paul Tushingham a vote to expand the South Lancs Industrial Estate? Community Action Party candidate Paul Tushingham states on his leaflet that he has campaigned for the South Lancs Industrial Estate to be linked to Junction 25 of the M6. If this...
Views: 323   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 4:42pm
by Moderator
j
Julian
Tenants & Residents
Tomorrow at 1pm the Riding Lane & Recreation Avenue Estates Tenants & Residents Association will be holding a meeting for the tenants & residents of both these estates. The purpose of the meeting is to put in place a acting committee until our 1st AGM, and to set out...
Views: 351   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 8:58am
by Julian
d
Debbie
History Question?
Can anyone tell me what the very large house,opposite what was Eavesway Garage, once was. One side appears to be lived in, but the other side looks empty. (I think that it once was one very large house made into two) I also thought that the brickwork on the outside...
Views: 349   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 27, 2008 5:33pm
by Ann rampling
a
Alan
Sago Finale
dear Posters At last we have laid the SAGO SAGA to bed, we now realise that the horrors of the tsunami, ended the sago crop. So we now move on to "Matters Concerning Ashton" I realise that for some, this will be a minor matter. But we have the new traffic system...
Views: 196   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 26, 2008 10:39pm
by David M
Ashton and Woolen Stock
Can you please explain why the Administrator of this site has applied for a position on the Ashton and Woollen Stock?
Views: 379   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 12:58am
by Ray
Election Rules
Hi A simple question Should the use of Brighter Borough money be suspended a month before the local elections? Alan
Views: 238   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 3:55pm
by Alan Edwards
m
Meanie
Tipping
Is it just me -why in 2008 do we still think of giving tips. We have equal pay and minimum wage and yet my wife still insists on giving tips. I pay a taxi driver to take me from A to B and she wants me to give him extra -although he is probably better off than me. S...
Views: 219   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 11:36pm
by Alan Edwards
r
rob
local help needed
there are a few of us going to the races on saturday but this means we are missing the cahnce to see our local derby football match against sunderland. does anyone know of a pub in the local area that we can go to that shows the premier league and might be willing to...
Views: 216   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 11:24pm
by David M
c
Chris
New Magazine for Ashton, Bryn and Garswood
Hi All, Just to let you know that, as from May, there is a new monthly magazine being launched for the Ashton, Bryn and Garswood area. The magazine will reach 10,100 households in the area and will be published monthly. It will carry local news, bits and pieces...
Views: 251   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 4:23pm
by Chris
i
Ian
Memorial Garden Trashed
The RL Hughes memorial garden was trashed probably last Sunday night. Someone must know something about this. Any ideas anyone? See : http://www.wigantoday.net/wigannews/Vandals-trash-memorial-garden.3996694.jp
Views: 251   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 11:27am
by Bob
Football coaching
FREE FOOTBALL COACHING 6 weeks of football coaching by FA qualified coaches Our coaches hold first aid certificates and have been on FA-ran Child protection workshops. In addition we will also have the Club’s Child Protection Officer present. Held a...
Views: 239   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 11:44pm
by Clare Horner
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Free Forum powered by Bravenet