295th Avn Co
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ACCIDENT

Anyone remember a chinook accident when the nose section got cut off?? Just wondering..I remeber it in late 76 or early 77.I was stationed there.

Re: ACCIDENT

Hello Leroy,
My name is Rickey Standridge. I think I know you. Yes I was there. It was a sad day for everyone when we lost Carl Redd. He was a good man. I will always remember him. It happened in 76 I belive, We hadn't had the 47's long. The accident investagation revieled that the Rotors were out of phase. back in those days they could be de-phased by a lever on the C-Box. some how this was done and not properly phased back. How it happened is beyond me, I have heard many stories about it. When the Acft was doing a ground run it cut itself in half just shy of the cabin enterence door as the aft pylon tore off the acft. Carl was standing in that area when it happened and lost his life. god bless you Carl Redd,

Hello Leroy,
I remember the accident very well, I was sitting in the flights ops office, suddenly it happened, everything seemed in slow motion, we went running to the helicopter, If I remember correctly, the crew chief was outside of the copter and his leg muscle was gone, went inside and that's when I seen Carl Redd (his upper torso was sitting on the seat, by the door, and his waist and legs were at the rear of the copter. It was a very sad day, the worst part was, we had to walk around the flight line looking for body parts. YES.. I remember the accident well, and we all lost a very good friend.

I was there when the crash happened.I thought it was metal fatigue.