Return to Website

BEST DAMN SPORTS SHOW PERIOD!

What did you think of the televised show on March 22, 2007, on Fox Sports Net's "Best Damn Sports Show Period!" ? Comments on the three world title bouts? Your comments will be automatically posted.

BEST DAMN SPORTS SHOW PERIOD!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Comments about card

WBAN has opened up a comments area for boxing fans to post their comments about this card that took place on March 22, 2007.

Re: Comments about card

It's was a pretty good card. Jefferies and Luna could of been a draw, but from my prospective the judges made the right decision. Chavez was a little timid compared to Brown. If she ever wants her title back she needs to step up her game. Saccurato could of put more pressure on Holm, if she wasn't fighting like a typical Brooklyn Street fighter she could of won. To tell the truth a good knock-out is the only way to beat Holm in her backyard.

The three fights uplifted Womens Boxing last night. It proved there are some good boxers out there that need exposure. In the first fight, Jefferies was a sharper puncher tha Luna. But Luna has plenty of potential with only 12 fights. The split decision in favor of Luna was the right call. The second fight between Chavez and Brown was exciting too but Chavez needs a better trainer. Her stand up, no motion technique will get her in trouble. She has quick, sharp punch ability. Brown, her opponent, won for her aggressiveness ,but often lunges and slaps her punches, which are often off target. She is a very raw talent. The final fight was great. Two excellent professionals at work. The fight was far closer than the refs scored. At worse, it should have been a split decision. Anna Marie was the aggressor and kept, for the most part, Holly on the offense. Holly has incredible quickness and sharp punches and scored heavily. In the end, I would have given Anna Marie the edge.

I was so impressed with Luna and Jeffries .. Luna has the ability to go far...she looked like she landed the heavier blows.. I think Jeffries looked more polished but Luna ( despite the mark on her head) faired really well. These women showed that women's boxing can be exciting to the main stream ....

The fights were all great!! Sorry for you guys that did not get to watch the last 3 rounds!!! great job laides!! I was pulling for Saccurato but hey maybe next time!! That's a fight I would watch again..

Re: Comments about the scoring

First off, I can't believe that anybody that who is NOT legally blind would score that fight for Holm. She ran. She countered. She backed off when she had ANN trapped in the corner.

Second, please stop the stupidest cliche in boxing, "that styles make fights". Fights are ALWAYS made by fighters. Holm is a boxer, Ann is a fighter. She made the fight and she deserves an edge in scoring. She also landed the better-harder punches and she made Holm fight...some of the time. Fighters always make fights. Two fighers make greater fights, two skilled, in shape fighters make the best fights. Who here would say that Hagler and Hearns are BOXERS? Nobody.

Last night was sad...how judges saw 98-92 is beyond me. I scored it 96-95 for Ann, with a point taken away from ann for holding/grabbing behind the neck.

Lets get some justice in the sport, that starts by STOPPING the BS that Holm won. She absolutly did NOT.

TD

I agree with you TD, I had Anne Marie up by two rounds, and my cable company cut the fight. I was born and raised in New Mexico, and have been in boxing for thirteen years, and it has not changed. I was raised to know that if you want something, you have to work at it to get it for yourself, and favors get you no where. 90% of the time I don’t agree with New Mexico judges, and because of that, it has made me an outsider in the boxing community. I’m retired now and living the good life. I had over 63 fights, and only ten were in New Mexico because of the New Mexico judges. I know what it is to travel half ways across the world, and win in someone’s backyard. It makes me sad that boxers come to New Mexico, male and female, and the score cards are already filled out before the bell even rings for the first round. It doesn’t bother me that other New Mexico boxers mock at me for my beliefs, but last night you got a sneak preview of New Mexico boxing. Holly has gone on record and called me a traitor, but traitors sell out, and never have I sold out. I only believe that if someone trains their heart out, they deserve a fair chance. I know how difficult it is, and how challenging it is for out of state boxers, that’s why I open my gym to legit fighters who pass through New Mexico. I know Anne Marie trained hard, I saw her in my gym training for this fight, and its unfair that she got cheated by an U.D. like that. You got to give credit where credit is due.

I thought all 3 fights were great fights. They were all fun to watch and exciting fights. Its a good showing for womens boxing. You had 6 great fighters fighting for titles. Good competitive matches. Holly Holm did do alot of backing up and countering, but when you fight in your own hometown, you get the decision. You know that's why she doesn't want to fight out state. Its easy to get decisions you don't deserve in your own hometown. All 3 matches were well fought. Good job to all.

Stephanie...YOU are never a traitor when you tell the truth. So take a bow for being true to your heart and what your eyes tell you.

The problems with boxing today are still the same ones from"back in the day" when the judge on the take took and took while everybody knew it.

Part of boxing is total confidence that any successful fighter has to have. One of the saddest days in boxing that I ever saw was the outrageous draw that Evander was given against Lewis. He should have been man enough and fighter enough to admit he lost yet he stood there on camera saying he thought he won. And then somebody will say, that's boxing, to explain it.

I was taught that part of any REAL scoring by a judge has to do with the vague rubric of RING GENERALSHIP really meant, who was making the fight happen. In the Holm - Saccurato fight, that was Ann.

I think back to HOLM kickboxing against Trisha Hill, who made the fight by knocking Holm out. That appears to be the ONLY way to win in New Mexico.

TD

Stephanie and TD;

Boxers should fight Holm in Albuquerque only for the payday. Her competitors are not stupid – they knew, as Stephanie said, the scorecards were filled out before the fights began - it was just so blatantly obvious last Thursday.

Saccurato had the best chance to defeat Holm – and did.

The score margins for the Holm-Saccurato fight did seem wide, but did Saccurato really dominate the fight so much as to make this an outrageous decision? I didn't think so. I thought that Ann-Marie won the first couple of rounds, but then I thought Holly settled, started throwing more punches, and pulled away on the scorecards.

Either way, it was close, every round was contested. I don't think you can make generalizations that all New Mexico judges fill out scorecards before the fight even starts. The judges were probably influenced by their surroundings to score more for Holm, but remember, Jackie Chavez lost and she is local, Rhonda Luna lost and she is local.

I thought it was a really good fight card. I certainly wouldn't agree with Bernie McCoy who labeled it an opportunity missed. It really almost couldn't have gone any better from just a pure fan perspective.

Holm lost. As soon as I heard the decision, I turned the television off. Chavez lost also, so I can't see how in the world Mia believed Jackie won that fight. Lisa Brown could've knocked her out if she stopped backing up and doing the Whitaker shuffle.

I was thrilled to see this card and I thought all the fights were good quality match-ups. But the show was about Holly Holm, and all it's too bad Teddy Atlas or George Foreman couldn't call this one and give us a no BS commentary. And Ann was getting penalized for holding and hitting, but Holm held the whole flippin fight. It's sad when a fighter like Ann holds those titles, titles that she earned, and this BS takes them from her. The card was great and the match-ups were great. I'm not going to let that BS decision spoil the fact that women's boxing took a step up. And I hope that FOXSPORTSNET does what they've done with so many of their other shows and replays this card over and over again.

Holm/Saccurato II should be in the works by Summer. Also they should add three fights to the card.

Saccurato is the better boxer. Period.

Sue,

I did a piece on this that I will attach at your email address for you and Bernie to take a look at, but essentially, what is states is that Holm did not win the fight; rather Saccurato lost it, by not capitalizing on any opportunities she had, unless Team Saccurato was paid handsomely by those folks in New Mexico to not do their best, but make it look good. I will attach it soon, but the best and only good fight of the night had to be Jeffries-Luna.

Longjab

If anyone get a shot at Holy Holm rain the pressure on her. She will fold if you get her in the right spot. She's been cruising easy it's time she face a skilled opponent.

George Foreman? I'll admit, he calls it as he sees it, but he sees it from a completely biased, whacked-out point of view. I think you guys are absurd if you didn't at least think that this was a competitive fight. Also, holding is different from holding and hitting. True, they are both illegal in boxing, but referees always tolerate holding.

PITTSBURGH – (March 23rd) – Early this morning, I paid a visit to a Southside Pittsburgh bar called Folino’s to talk to local pro woman boxer Leslee ‘Longplay’ Perella about her frustrations and when I got there and to my pleasant surprise, she and the rest of the bar was watching the fight card on the Fox Sports Network, so I was able to catch the main event, which was the match between Holly Holm and Ann Marie Saccurato.

As we watched, we found ourselves passionately yelling at Saccurato, as if she could hear us from the television set, wishing that she would stop bull rushing in on Holm and just measure her up and throw some good solid punches with bad intent upon the Holm’s person, including quite a few body shots and some uppercuts that were never even attempted while in the clinch with Holm.

It seemed as if Holm tried to exploit Saccurato’s contant rushes, by leading in with her head and trying to make it appear as if Saccurato was holding her or hitting in back of the head, which eventually got Saccurato a few points deducted from the score cards.

Being that the fight turned out to be, as Perella put it, “The most boring fight of the night”, those deducted points may have been the only difference as to why Holm won by unanimous decision, even though she didn’t do much to dominate Saccurato that she earned the decision.

To put it simply, Holm didn’t win the fight; rather Saccurato lost it.

That is not to say that Saccurato lost the match by impartial decision, being that the fight was in Holm’s own backyard, as all her fights are; but, then again, Saccurato did not deserve an impartial decision, I’m sorry to say.

What makes this so ironic is the fact that I was really rooting for Saccurato, wishing that she would knock Holm out and into the stunning reality that Holm is not as good a fighter as she is a good-looking fighter, which is the real reason that Holm is such a sensation and media favorite in her own backyard.

Of course, if Holly and Team Holm think that I am wrong with that assessment of her, they could certainly prove it to me, by fighting in someone else’s hometown or someplace else and actually dominate an opponent for a change, in lieu of making everyone think they did.

Since Perella watched all the fights on the card, I’ll have to take her word for it that this was, indeed, the most boring fight of the night and that the fight between Kelsie Jeffries and Rhonda Luna was the best **** fight of the night, being that the best and most action happened, with Jeffries putting on a demonstration of how any fighter should fight.

I guess that says a lot about Jeffries’ trainer – Buddy McGirt – too, period.

Longjab

Very diplomatic, Longjab, but Saccurato won the fight.

Holm will fight outside of New Mexico when Hell freezes over.

Re: Comments about card, Disgusted's comments.

Disgusted,

I'm thankful that you think that I was "diplomatic", even though I wasn't trying to be. This is just my style, although I haven't gotten a whole lot of opportunity to voice my opinion in writing as of late, but I felt that it was time to get back to it, being as rusty as I may come off.