Return to Website

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum

Feel free to post your rules questions and veiwpoints, for others to read and answer. Click on "Post" to start a new thread, click on the subject to read posts. Feel free to join in on any subject.

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Match play

Hi
Can someone please enlighten me regarding the rules of match play. My golf club run an annual matchplay competition and the competitors are placed within 3 cats handicap 1 - 13, 14 - 24 and 25- 36. However, the game is played without handicaps for example I am 13hcp and could be drawn against a player with 1 hcp. Immediately he has 13 shot advantage!!!. I believed that when you play any game of golf you all start on a level playing field is this the correct way of playing matchplay competitions.

Where do you play golf Italy

Re: Match play

Dennis, the h/cap allowance for any comp is set out in the conditions of competition by the committee. There is no rule that sets out how the h/cap allowance should be allocated.
The way your club do it seems very unbalanced and unfair.
Generally speaking in single match play the h/cap should be the full difference. in 4 BBB it should be 3/4 the difference.
BTW this forum is now defunct, we have a new one. Go to my web site click here for the web site Once there, click on the link to the "forum", it will take you to the new forum. Hope to see you there.
Don