Return to Website

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum

Feel free to post your rules questions and veiwpoints, for others to read and answer. Click on "Post" to start a new thread, click on the subject to read posts. Feel free to join in on any subject.

Rules of Golf Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wrong ball holed out in Foursomes (after marking)

Scenario: Player A & B are partners in Foursomes. The match is all square. Player A plays onto green and correctly marks ball on green and puts ball in pocket. Player B then holes out to win the hole for A & B to go 1 up with 4 to play. Walking to next tee, player A realises that a different ball was used to hole out and immediately informs opponents. The 4 players are unsure of procedure and agree to continue and to clarify later; all 4 agree that A & B are 1 up but that that could change when the Rule is clarified.
A & B win the next 2 holes (and so could be 3 & 2 winners) but offer to continue playing until the issue is clarified. They then win the 17th and all 4 agree that they have won the match.
Subsequently, A & B learn that they should have lost the hole where the wrong ball was used to hole out. Adjusting the score in that light means they would now be 2 & 1 winners.
Can the result stand?

Re: Wrong ball holed out in Foursomes (after marking)

IMHO the result is 4 and 1 because they all agreed that.

Out of interest, why would the actual result 2 and 1 instead of 4 and 1 make any difference?

In my opinion, the result is 3 up with 2 to play. No timely claim was made, and the play of the 17th is not part of the match.

Thanks for replies.

DC - the actual result makes no difference; 2 & 1 is actually the correct score if the result of the hole involving the wrong ball is reversed. It would only have been 4&1 if there had been no reversal.
The match went up the 17th just in case the result had to be changed for the hole in question - which, of course, it was when the correct Rules interpretation was reached

Interesting point Paul!

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

Paul
I would say that the agreement to check the rule at the end of the match was in fact a timely claim.

Dear Doug,

Match play is dog-eat-dog, even though we all want to share a drink afterwards.

Someone must claim a result for the hole. No later claim may be considered unless it is based on facts previously unknown to the player making the claim and he had been given wrong information by an opponent.

Hi all,

At the finish of the 14th hole the players didn't know how to score and agreed to consult the committee.

The Committee should Rule that:

A&B lost the 14th hole and are at that point 1 down;
They win the 15th hole and are then all square;
They win the 16th hole and now are 1 up;
They then win the 17th hole and they are 2 up with one hole to play. A & B win 2 and 1, or 2/1

Johanna

Where do you play golf Toxandria, the Netherlands

I thought the point of this question was that the players DID NOT involve the committee and ask for a ruling but came to an agreement amongst themselves that the result was 4&1.

If they DID seek the committee ruling then yes of course Johanna is right.

David,

Part of the original question said:

The 4 players are unsure of procedure and agree to continue and to clarify later; all 4 agree that A & B are 1 up but that that could change when the Rule is clarified.

I assume that meant that they asked a committee member or RO later on.

Johanna

DC
The point Johanna makes was what I was implying.

Hello All
As the original poster, may I add to and extend this discussion?
The Committee decided that A & B won 2 & 1 because:
a) All 4 players had agreed to refer the incident.
b) An "extra" hole had been played in case the result of Hole 14 was reversed.

What would have been the outcome if the extra hole had not been played and the result of Hole 14 had been reversed? The match would then have "ended" with A & B 1 up with 2 holes to play? Would the result have stood? Would the match have to be replayed? I can't find a Rule/Decision to cover this eventuality.

Rob,

If the Committee had decided the score wrongly, the score for A&B would have been:

Hole 14 A&B win = 1 up
Hole 15 A&B win = 2 up
Hole 16 A&B win = 3 up and 2 to go.

Score 3 up 2 to go, or 3/2 on the score board.

Johanna

Hi Rob,

I admit I pondered on your follow-up question,and arrived at the same conclusion as Johanna.

What I could not understand, however, was the rellevance of not playing the"extra" hole.

Perhaps I may have misunderstood the question.

Look forward to you joining us on the new site.

Regards, Ron.

Hi Ron
The playing of the extra hole allowed for the reversal of the result of Hole 14 should this have been necessary - and it was! If the extra hole had not been played and Hole 14 was reversed, then the match would have been left in limbo. All this is only relevant because the players agreed that the issue would be resolved when the match was completed. Once Player A had declared the possible problem, then it could always be an issue in deciding the outcome of the match.
I'm also looking forward to the new forum! I'm beginning to find the finer points of the Rules fascinating.